Live World Indices are powered by Investing.com
Monday, August 29, 2016
EYE on the World - Global Physics: An Unsustainable Shrinking Pie
" Our Daily Shrinking Planetary Pie With More Mouths"
Humans are using too much crap.
That’s the official word from a new U.N. report on the use of natural resources. It found that, from the food we eat to the homes we live in to the fuels we burn, our rates of consumption are just unsustainable. That’s not too surprising, but the real shock is that our extraction of the primary materials used to make all of our stuff has more than tripled in the past 40 years.
“We urgently need to address this problem before we have irreversibly depleted the resources that power our economies and lift people out of poverty,” said the U.N.’s Alicia Bárcena Ibarra.
Strong winds combined with low demand on a sunny summer Sunday help Scotland reach ‘significant milestone’ on path towards ditching fossil fuels entirely
For the first time on record, wind turbines have generated more electricity than was used in the whole of Scotland on a single day.
An analysis by conservation group WWF Scotland found unseasonably stormy weather saw turbines create about 106 per cent of the total amount of electricity used by every home and business in the country on 7 August.
Gale-force winds lashed much of the country with a speed of 115mph recorded at the top of Cairngorm mountain.
Wealthy investors are stockpiling cash at levels we haven’t seen since 2001, in the wake of the Dot Com crash. The cash slush pile is larger even than in 2008 when investors fled the market during the Lehman collapse. According to a recent survey, large investors, including asset managers and institutional investors, have almost six percent of their holdings in cash. The amount of cash being squirreled away by just the world’s billionaires, not solely in the U.S., but worldwide, is estimated to beas high as $1.7 trillion dollars. That’s ten percent of the entire U.S. GDP.
There are a lot of reasons that the investment world has retreated to cash, but this is the first time it’s happened when there was no clear ongoing economic disaster. In other words, seasoned investors are behaving as if there’s been a market collapse at a time when equity markets continue to march higher—when to all outward appearances we’re in a boom.
- Reality Check: A FED Policy Change Would Cause Unp...
- Strangely, White House And Germany Are Panicking
- The Dumbest Guys In The Room - With Hindsight
- EYE on the World - Global Physics: An Unsustainabl...
- ALERT: Major Crisis Looms As #Saudi's Miss Foreign...
- Overpopulation Ultimately Leads To Global #Food Sh...
- No Future For Middle-Class Or Wage-Earners
- BIG IDEAS: Robots Are Replacing Farm Workers...Who...
- ALERT: New Labor Laws Could Drag Down Earnings of ...
- EYE on the World - Old Chinese Curse...
- Whom Owns The Gold, Makes The Rules
- MELTDOWN WARNING: Sooner Or Later The Inflation Bo...
- GOOD NEWS: Ireland Jails 2008 Meltdown Banksters ...
- CHAOS: #Valuations Set To Drop 50-75% Says Leading...
- EYE on the World - Climate Encounters of a Third K...
- Why Are We In A Low Growth Global Economy?
- J.P.Morgan Says GDP Number Not Reliable Metric -...
- Over-Inflated Asset Bubbles Could Collapse In Fall...
- As Fear Stalks Markets Gold Rush Gathers Steam
- Neoliberal Economics Policy Returns - Slavery, To ...
- Japan's Economy Heading Into Dark Ages
- ▼ August (21)
- ► 2015 (21)
- ► 2013 (55)
- ► 2012 (26)